Friday 11 January 2013

32 Hours to Army List Submission Deadline [Space Wolves]

Hi,

For those of you that have been reading my blog for a while you may remember the army above that I took to Magnificent Seven, a 600 point tournament last January.

Well the tournament has come round again (it's in 2 weeks this Saturday), and I've decided to take my Space Wolves again, especially as it will force me to paint more of them.

Back then I used the following list:


Wolf Guard (3) - 84
1: Powerfist & Combi-melta (joins the first Grey Hunter squad)
2: Combi-flamer (joins the second Grey Hunter squad)
3: Basic chainsword & pistol (joins Long Fangs)

8 Grey Hunters with Meltagun & Standard - 135
   transported in Rhino - 35

8 Grey Hunters with Flamer - 120
   transported in Rhino - 35

2 Thunderwolf Cavalry, one with a Frost Blade - 125

3 Long Fangs with 2 Missile Launchers - 65

24 Infantry & 2 transports, totalling 599 points

This year the tournament had increased to 666 points, so I had extra points to spend.  I also wanted to try out a fully foot list, in preparation for my current theory-hammered list, which used Guard allies, with only two vehicles (a Whirlwind and a Vendetta) - I know nothing radical as quite a few people have similar lists.

The tournament allowed lists to have a single flyer, and units were allowed to buy a fortification gun without taking the fortification.  So taking units out of my main list I came up with this new list for 2013:

10 Grey Hunters (2 Plasmaguns) - 160
10 Grey Hunters (2 Meltaguns, Standard) - 165
3 Thunderwolves (Frost Sword) - 175
5 Long Fangs (4 Missile Launchers) - 115
Quad Gun (to be manned by Long Fang Squad Leader) - 50

Total: 665 points

It's a good basic list to try out.  The tournament has a bonus point if you can make your list exactly 666 pts, but as all the options for the units I've taken are in multiples of 5, the only I would be able to do that would be if I rewrote the list to have wolf guard in it, which I don't think is worth it for 1 extra tournament point.  Wolf Guard storm bolters are one of (if not the only) upgrades which isn't a multiple of 5.

I'm still dithering over going all foot.  Rhinos will allow the grey hunters and the thunderwolves to be in the opponents deployment zone all together on turn 2, plus the steel box of a rhino is a good way for the grey hunters to get the alpha strike (of alpha rapid fire shot) at units such as screamers or flamers.  Maybe I'm just worried about daemons too much :)

Thunderwolves are improved in 6th edition, so I'm considering losing 2 missile launchers to get a 4th model.  The reduced long fangs can still thow out 2 missile launcher and 4 twin-linked str 7 shots a turn.  Deploying them far back defensively will help to offset their fragility from being so small a unit.

Also are meltaguns needed in 6th, when only combat patrol vehicles will be allowed and everyone has krak grenades.  I picked meltaguns in the squad with the standard because it's an assault weapon so I would fire it and assault, but would 2 flamers be better ?

Well I have until tomorrow night to submit my list, so any suggestions on the points I'm pondering, or anything in general about the list would be appreciated.  Now I have to start painting like crazy to get the few extra models I need assembled and painted in time :)

Rathstar

For those interested below is my 1750 point Wolves / Guard list I'm building towards.  It's nothing unusual compared to other SW/IG lists I've seen:


Rune Priest (Rune Axe) - 100

3 Wolf Guard - 90
    1: Combi-Plasma & Storm Bolter (26)
    2: Combi-Plasma & Storm Bolter (26)
    3: Frost Axe (38)

10 Grey Hunters (2 Plasmaguns) - 160
10 Grey Hunters (2 Plasmaguns) - 160
10 Grey Hunters (2 Meltaguns, Standard) - 165

6 Long Fangs (5 Missile Launchers) - 140
6 Long Fangs (5 Missile Launchers) - 140
Whirlwind - 85

Aegis Defense Line with Quad Gun - 100

Primis Psyker (Force Axe) - 70

Psyker Battle Squad (Overseer & 8 Psykers) - 100

Platoon Command Squad - 50
  with 4 Flamers

4 Platoon Infantry Squads - 260*
  Squad 1 & 2: Power Axe and Autocannon
  Squad 3: Power Axe
  Squad 4: Autocannon

Vendetta -130

Total: 1,750 pts, 100 models, 12 Units, 5 Troops

* Intention is to go in one big blob, joined by the Runepriest for ATSKNF and the Primis Psyker.  In some games squad 4 may not join the blob, and instead sit on a backfield objective.  When together the blob and 2 psykers have 3 autocannons, 5 poweraxes, and a sacrifical sergaent who no upgrades to throw himself in front of any nasty characters, and most importantly another 30 bullet catchers.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails