Saturday 2 April 2011

[40k] March Review

Hi,

Has it been another month already, damn that went quick.

Painting / Modelling

I've received all the bits from America to convert all of the remaining (3) vipers I have to venoms.  I have converted a second one, and the 3rd and 4th ones are half converted and should be done in the next day or so.

With less than 35 days to my next tournament, I'm getting a bit nervous about getting the whole army finished in time.  I reorganised the painting task list (on the right hand pane), and some of you may have noticed a slight reduction in the dark eldar painting progress bar.  I just wanted to split out into two tasks some of the later bigger ones.  The progress bar has to move forward 5% (one task) every 2 days for me to finish the army 4 days before the tournament.  Next week should be crucial as I need to get ahead of schedule as some of the later tasks are to paint an entire vehicle from start to finish, and I'm not sure I can do that every 2 nights when I factor in trying to get games at the local GW/club/mates and family life being a welcome but neverless distraction from getting my army ready.

I've almost got my mech Space Wolves in a state where I can play them without proxying anything, just a razorback and a landspeeder to finish.  Nearly all the infantry are headless (as I spray them a different colour and attach them after the rest of the model is painted), but it should give my mates a good game.

Originally I was going to assemble the thunderwolves as well, but in the end I decided to wait so I could spend more time on them, and playing without the thunderwolves would help me to decide between which support elements I like the best (ie. landspeeders with multi-melta and heavy flamer or long fang razorbacks with lascannon and twin plamsa).  Also (along with my Dark Eldar) it will be nice to try overloading the opponent's anti-tank.  My Space Wolves mech list has 10 vehciles (4 rhinos, 2 razorbacks, 2 landspeeders, 1 whirlwind & a dreadnaught) in 1750 pts; not as much as razorspam armies but more vehicles than I'm used to using.


Gaming

Rather than the complete fail of the previous 2 months, I did actually get two games in (with my Dark Eldar).  Battle reports can be seen here and here.  Not only that but I did make it down to the local GW on games night twice and the local club once (however on all occassions stuff popped up at work meaning I didn't get there in time to get a game).

The Dark Eldar army is showing it can handle nids well, but I need to learn to play the army better.  I've almost settled on the idea of using beastmasters rather than a large unit of incubi in a raider in my ideal list.  However I'd never get the beastmaster unit painted up for my upcoming tournaments, therefore my current idea is to use a list that's a compromise between my cut to the bone list and my last list with the large incubi squad (shown at the top of this post).  Basically I cut the last two small scoring units in venoms and the incubi to the bone in order to keep the nice upgrades such as agonisers and liquifier guns while having 6 troop choices and 4th venom.  Hopefully this will be the last list change for a while so I can just keep practicing with it for the tournaments.  Adding the beastmasters in would lose me 3 kill points so I'll been keen to get them painted up fast, plus I'm quite happy just adding the beastmasters to this list to make a 2000 point list.  Anyway here's the list:

Haemonculus - 65
Venom Blade, Liquifier Gun

5 Incubi - 110
in Raider with Dark Lance - 60

3 Trueborn with 3 Blasters - 81
in Venom with 2 Splinter Cannons - 65

3 Trueborn with 3 Blasters - 81
in Venom with 2 Splinter Cannons - 65

10 Wracks with 2 Liquifier Guns - 120
in Raider with Dark Lance - 60

9 Wyches with Hekatrix with Venom Blade - 105
in Raider with Dark Lance - 60

9 Wyches with Hekatrix with Agoniser - 120
in Raider with Dark Lance - 60

10 Wyches with Hekatrix with Agoniser - 130
in Raider with Dark Lance - 60

3 Wracks - 30
in Venom with 2 Splinter Cannons - 65

3 Wracks - 30
in Venom with 2 Splinter Cannons - 65

Ravager with 3 Dark Lances - 105

Ravager with 3 Dark Lances - 105

Ravager with 3 Dark Lances - 105

Totals: 1747 Pts, 69 Models (including 12 vehicles), 14 Dark Lances, 8 Splinter Cannons & 6 Blasters


 Other Hobby News

The grey knights codex is out today, so now we can all get the actual codex and see how close all the rumours are, and make sure we're ready to face this elite army.

Even before the grey knights codex is out, rumours for sisters of battle on BoLS, helped by 4 "leaked" pages of the codex.  Whether this is an April Fools, a fan wish list, or GW leaking stuff to gather reaction we'll have to wait and see.


I hope you've had a fun and productive March (feel free to let us know what you've been up to in the comments), now I must get to bed as I'm got fun family stuff tomorrow, however when my son goes to sleep tomorrow (really later today) I'll hopefully be able to finish converting the last of my venoms.

Rathstar

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails