Monday 18 January 2010

Tyranid Fever


Tyranid Fever is upon us, everyone is bringing their nids out to play. Many players who were never going to play the monstrous creature list to be competitive are looking at their tyranid armies again.

The people who did do the tyranid monstrous creature list have been scr*wed in the new book. Spinegants are inferior to the cheaper termagants, and the ond elite carnifex (twin devourers) for 113 pts now costs 200 pts. GW have also done their usual, and the new monstrous creatures are just plain better than the existing ones. Tyrgons, Mawlocs, Tervigons, Hive Guard all seem good for their points, however the book seems quite balanced, with alot of discussion happening on what units are best rather than a quick glance down the list of units crossing half out that will never see the light of day in a competitive lists. It also appears that different themes of lists will be competitive rather than all competitive lists looking very simular. Overall I like the book.

I make well too many army lists, rather than getting on and painting, so here is my starter for 10 tyranid list:

Tyranid Prime - 100
Bonesword, Talons, Furious Charge

3 Zoanthropes - 180
3 Hive Guard - 150
3 Hive Guard - 150

13 Termagants - 65
13 Termagants - 65
15 Hormagaunts (with Poison) - 120
15 Hormagaunts (with Poison) - 120
Tervigon - 195
Furious Charge, Poison, Catalyst Psyker Power (gives Feel No Pain to one unit)
Tervigon - 195
Furious Charge, Poison, Catalyst Psyker Power (gives Feel No Pain to one unit)

5 Ravenors (Talons & Rending Claws) - 175

Tyrgon (with Furious Charge & Regeneration) - 235

Total Points: 1,750

The list isn't meant to be super competitive, and it's based on models I have. I couldn't fit in many of the unit's I'd like such a lictors, a mawloc or a hive tyrant (which seem expensive for how tough they are, but add a lot to the army with their psyhic powers).

I think this will be a good list to start out with. I've already got a converted tyrgon, and will convert the tervigons out of carnifexs. I've even got a model ready to be a tyranid prime, it's an old 2nd edition tyrant that I was previously going to use as tyrant guard.

Rathstar

EDIT: I noticed I had only paid 1 pt rather than 2 pt for the hormagaunt poison, so i quickly lost the tyranid prime's poison and 2 hormagaunts and 1 termagant.

2 comments:

  1. I do not know about to much variety. All the lists I see on the blogs include to 2 Tervigons(plus reguired termigaunts to make them troops) and at least 2 trygons/mawlocs plus 3 zoans. That is 60-70% of the points so the rest of the variation seems to be in the margins.

    Just do not see people posting many lists with fexes or tyrants.

    I remember I posted something back before all of the rumors where out:

    http://twilight40k.blogspot.com/2009/08/new-tyranid-codex.html

    I predicted that the current nidzilla lists was going to be gone to drive new model sales guessing that fexes would not be elites anymore. I was right about this but it seems I was wrong about why that nidzilla is dead. The increase costs is way worse than the lose of elite fexes. Old nidzilla is gone to be replaced by new nidzilla with bigger zillas (maybe a few less in total and a few more little guys) but still the same theme.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi,

    You've got a fair point on the net lists that have appeared so far. I think it's because it's the easist type of list to build.

    I hope however that other units and army types will work themselves into what people think is competitive. People look at the vastly higher pts cost of carnifexs and tyrants and move on to the new big bugs, but tyrants have nice psychic powers and carnifexs are the only way to put str 9 or 10 in combat for instant death. I think you may still see a few carnifiexs in some list, but probably in pod. The tyrant +1 to reserves ability is also useful in a pod heavy list or preferred enemy to give a boost to the rest of the army.

    We'll have to wait and see if your dire prediction (nidzilla will stay, just different) turns out to be true. I'm hoping other builds will be viable.

    You'll see I've changed my list, taking out the mawloc for ravenors, seeing them in action has made me put them in (especially as I already have the models as opposed to buying another £30 box set).

    Rathstar

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails