Thursday 30 December 2010

One Year Old :) & Painting Motivation



Hi,

Happy Birthday Blog

One year ago I started this blog, and it's been a very pleasant and interesting experience. I've really enjoyed interacting with other bloggers and being inspired to try out new ideas from the comments I've received and other blogs I read. So to all of you that have commented or just popped by for a browse - thanks.

As I move into my second year of blogging I want to improve my blogging. One thing I've noticed is that I can sometimes be erratic with my blogging, from 11 posts one month to only 3 another. I try to average 4 or so posts a month, but I'm going to try and have more of a schedule, which means I'll start planning posts in advance more.

However you're the readers, so what do you like and what would you like to see more of ? Is it battle reports, going through my thought process when I build a list, tactics and unit commentaries ?

Painting

Another thing having a blog means is that everything is caught in black and white, and it clearly shows up that I haven't done anywhere near as much painting as a wanted this year.

It's always hard when you look at all the grey plastic and metal and think how long it's going to take to get the army fully painted.

Some steps I done recently that has helped me are:

  • Having a clear space set-out. The picture above of my desk used to have my laptop on it, but now I leave the models I'm converting/painting out. Having the models sitting there staring at you really inspires me to get at least something done each night. Tonight I took apart an old razorback I bought from ebay in readiness for repainting in the colour scheme of my space wolves.
  • Try to get a bit done each day. Even if it's only half an hour, it all adds up.
  • Mix it up to stop me getting bored. It can be really be a put off when it's the 13th marine in a row you're painting. On my desk is a rhino I'm in the process of repainting, a grey hunter squad I'm in the middle of painting, 2 Vypers that are being converted into Venoms, and even a Ravager that is being converted. Having different tasks mean I can mix and match to always keep it fresh.
These are my best tips on how I keep motivated. Have you got any good tips to share ?

Rathstar

2 comments:

  1. Congratulations on your first year of blogging! My you continue in such a great fashion.

    Now about painting tips I don't have much, just to give into temptation when you do occasionally want to really paint that model for no apparent reason. Even if you want to do something else just paint, build or do whatever to whatever model or terrain piece you suddenly want to do. It may be because of a sudden great idea which you don't want to forget so just go with it.

    Same thing goesfor when I suddenly feel the need to tidy my room. Usually I hate doing it but for no reason I sometimes have an urge to tidy so I go with it an that's it done for the next year. Done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the kind words on my first year of blogging.

    I'm really trying to get more focused on getting more painting done this year, so I'm up for any suggestions. I now leave the model's I'm currently painting out on my desk, so I have the urge to paint I can just get on with it rather than hunting for my cases.

    Rathstar

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails